Many customers asked about how to upgrade the TFS DT to SQL Server 2008. I’m writing this post in the hope of that other TFS administrators can get a quick help. The following are steps to upgraded the TFS DT:
- Apply TFS 2008 SP1 if you haven’t applied it yet. TFS 2008 SP1 is a must in order to work with SQL Server 2008.
- Follow the document How to: Upgrade to SQL Server 2008 (Setup) to upgrade the database.
- Open the installation folder of TFS, find the configuration file Web Services\Warehouse\web.config.
- Modify the assembly binding redirection of Microsoft.AnalysisServices from <bindingRedirect oldVersion="22.214.171.124" newVersion="126.96.36.199"/> to <bindingRedirect oldVersion="188.8.131.52" newVersion="10.0.0.0"/>.
- Perform the step #4 for the Toos\SetupWarehouse.exe.config and Toos\TfsAdminUtil.exe.config.
- If some reports from the default MSF for Agile or MSF for CMMI template don’t work after the database upgrade, you might want to look at Issues with TFS 2008 built-in reports using SQL Server Reporting Services 2008.