On MSDN, we have documents for moving TFS database, moving Analysis Service database etc. But it’s not covered to move Reporting Service.
After I sent this question to our internal discussion group. I received a couple of replies. Especially thank Aaron Block, Bill Essary and Lakhminder Singh for their great help. Here are the steps to move RS.
- Follow KB 842425 to move RS DB to a new instance.
- Ensure that you have a login for the TFS Reports account, in case your RS databases are now going to be hosted on a different SQL instance. The login for the RS database should have RSExecRole in Report Server databases (which it should retain when you restore the RS databases.)
- Create new data connections for TfsReportsDS and TfsOlapReportsDS. They can be modified via http://ReportingService/Reports.
- Run TfsAdminUtil ConfigureConnections command to update setting /ReportsUri and /ReportServerUri. Consider http://support.microsoft.com/kb/959126 while doing it.
- Copy TfsConfigWss.exe to the SharePoint server and run it there to update the reports redirector.
- In the installation folder of TFS, there’s a folder named “Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Team Foundation Server - ENU”. Update the MSIProperty.ini in that folder and change the RS machine name for the VSTF_RS_SERVER property. You just need to give new machine\server name for RS & do not give the instance name. Optionally update the VSTF_RS_REPORTS_URI, & VSTF_RS_REPORTSERVER_URI properties. See Msiproperty.ini File Properties for more information.